Monday, February 16, 2015

Down Time

I find I have nothing to say these days.

It’s winter in Wisconsin, which means that it is cold, grey, icy, and inhospitable outside.  I’m actually okay with this, as it means that I can stay in with my books and my tea and nobody feels any need to give me moral criticism for not being Out And About the way that apparently all the good people of the world are by reflex action.  On the other hand, though, it’s not much to write home about.  It’s a quiet sort of life.

There’s a lot going in politically, as the right-wing extremists currently masquerading as the once-proud Republican Party careen ever closer to their goal of subverting the Constitution and American civil society entirely and replacing them with a one-party Gilded-Age theocracy of the damned.  The problem, as is probably evident by now, is that even considering the matter is infuriating to someone who actually has a clue what this nation was founded upon, as I do, and that makes bad copy.  That plus the fact that I was born in Philadelphia and therefore pessimism is my birthright makes me rather corrosive on the subject these days.  I can ruin people’s days merely by expressing my views, and who needs that?  Better to stay quiet, perhaps.

I’m reading some good books, but those go onto the end of the year posts.  As far as sports go, I’m enjoying soccer and hockey when I get a chance.  American football is over and baseball hasn’t started.  There’s a lot of curling going on around these parts as well.  Other than that there are no sports of any note.  I lost interest in movies years ago.  Not much to report upon, really.

My semester is phenomenally busy – for all that Governor Teabagger (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Koch Industries) insists that university faculty are lazy, I’d put good money on the fact that I’m working harder than he is, and I’m not even tenure track.  Most university professors I know would be thrilled to be forced to work a 40-hour week.  They wouldn’t know what to do with all their new-found free time. 

So it’s been kind of quiet around these parts.  Perhaps it will pick up soon, though.  You never know.

10 comments:

LucyInDisguise said...

No.

It is not better to keep quite.

NOW is the time you shine the brightest, exposing to posers to the spotlight of intended purpose.

GO TEAM!

(Ya do understand what I'm sayin' here, right???)

Lucy

Beatrice Desper said...

Lucy, is oh, so right. BTW, in the French media, the Governor of Wisconsin often comes up as an example of an extreme Republican. The Guardian can't stand him, either.

LucyInDisguise said...

Case in point:

http://www.stonekettle.com/2015/02/the-telltale-heart-of-history-beats-for.html

Jim explains why YOUR viewpoint is so essential. You have a unique understanding of our history - and a way of explaining how that should be informing us today.

I have implored you many times in the past, and implore you yet again: Please, bring your talent to bear.

(Yeah, I know. But even though I drive for a living, I still find ways to make driving a from of recreation, too.)

Lucy

LucyInDisguise said...

Form. Form of recreation.

Damn.

Lucy

David said...

I understand it, Lucy, and thanks. And thank you, Bea, as well.

I will probably get back to it soon, but right now I am drained - Lucy, I haven't even had the heart to read Jim's essay, though the issue has been a hot-button one in the historical community at large.

Bea, I am surrounded by people who not only CAN stand Governor Teabagger, but think he's the greatest statesman this nation has ever produced as well. They bray like wild asses and cheer his every move. It gets old.

I appreciate the encouragement, and maybe it will make me get back to it faster than I otherwise might.

LucyInDisguise said...

Ya know what? I'm cool with that. I understand the whole "drained" concept. I'm taking this day off for almost precisely that reason.

Please do not misconstrue, Monsignor - I was not suggesting (nor imploring) that you drop everything and put pen to paper immediately.

(Besides, it works better when you're actually inspired! And pens don't work well in this medium, anywhy.)

No, I was merely stating my (extreme?) disagreement with the idea that it would be "Better to stay quiet, perhaps."

" I can ruin people’s days merely by expressing my views, and who needs that? "

I do. We do. They do. Do do.

Love & kisses to you and the family. Belated Happy Valentines. Early Happy Bunny Day. Or something.

Lucy

David said...

Thanks, Lucy - you made my day. :)

And a happy mishmash of holidays to you and yours as well.

Tom said...

I love Lucy.

She says it well. We need you. Lord knows I'm falling down in my attempts to communicate with the wilder world, but now that I'm retired, I may aspire to do better. You already do aspire. If I may quote, "Do do."

It's so good to have you here, where we can hear. If I can expand on a salient point, "Do you."

David said...

I love Lucy.

I see what you did there...

Thanks, Tom - I appreciate it. I'm going to try to get back to it today.

Also, just FYI, Lucy is a he - thus the "in Disguise" part. :)

Tom said...

Hell, I still love him. It were them comments what done it.

And I didn't think she/he driving a truck was a gender indication. I'm kinda proud of that.

:)