Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Call Goes Out Once More

And so it starts again.

Last year I was prevailed upon by forces beyond my control (i.e. Kim) to take part in the local YWCA's annual "Walk a Mile In Her Shoes" event, which - for those of you who missed last year's report and photographs - is a fundraiser designed to help out programs that seek to cut down on or respond to domestic violence.

Why, yes, my PhD is in 18th-century politics and, yes, I had to read a lot of the literature from the day - literature where the sentence-to-page ratio was roughly even. Why do you ask?

This year's event is next Friday, and once again I will be donning a pair of military-spec combat high heels (in stylish black) and careening helplessly through town at a 30-degree angle for a good cause. There will be a crowd of other men similarly attired, though some will no doubt take it further than my poor tired eyes should have to see. I will not be in drag, as there is not enough whiskey in the barrel for that, but some folks just have to go all out and more power to 'em. There will be pictures, yes there will, and I'll post them here.

But you know, folks. This IS a fundraiser. Funds would therefore be appreciated! You - yes, YOU! - should donate to this good cause. Because it will increase your karma. Because it is the right thing to do. Because there is a special place in hell for people who commit acts of domestic violence and their victims need to be kept safe.

And because you know you just want to see me all stylin' and that.

If you are willing to donate, please let me know in the comments section and I will get you the information on how to do that.

No comments: