Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Love and Marriage

Last night I proved that, after thirteen years of marriage, I can still make my wife hot in bed.

This involved going downstairs, setting the kettle on, filling up the hot water bottle and bringing it back so that she could, with time, move her neck again. But I'll take what I can get.

Yesterday was our thirteenth anniversary - a lucky baker's dozen of years since we stood up and declared publicly what we already knew in our hearts. A lot has happened since then. Kim got tenure. I got my PhD and set off on a series of jobs, teaching, running a museum, shelving books, ferrying Russians around, and so forth. We found a nice house a couple of blocks from our original apartment. Tabitha and Lauren came along. We got rounder. Maybe happiness weighs more.

It's been quite a ride, and I'm glad that I'm sharing it with Kim.

No comments: